HomeShare offers guidance and options for those seeking affordable housing
Our one-of- a-kind HomeShare program connects those who want to share their homes with others looking for alternative housing—an innovative solution to San Diego’s shortage of affordable living options.
Participants include independent older adults or couples, working professionals, and students seeking reasonable housing. Shared living agreements facilitate a private bedroom and shared use of common areas in exchange for rent, household services, or a combination of both. ElderHelp maintains each agreement with ongoing support to ensure stable living environments and long-lasting relationships.
It’s an opportunity to create intergenerational friendships and awareness, giving seniors a sense of security in knowing someone else is home.
Home Provider Eligibility:
- You are interested in having a housemate and are agreeable to sharing common areas (kitchen, living room, etc.)
- You are able to self-advocate
- You must provide for your own personal care needs, or have other help in place to assist with these needs.
- You do not need 24 hour care or assistance
- Your home will be assessed to make sure it is a good fit for a housemate
- You must have a private bedroom for you and your housemate
Home Seeker Eligibility:
- You are interested in sharing a home with another person
- You are able to meet your own medical needs and advocate for yourself
- You currently reside in the County of San Diego
- You have a valid phone and address where you can be reached
- You must have a source of income, show proof of income upon enrollment into the program, and demonstrate your ability to meet your own living expenses (food, transportation, etc.)
- Submit to a criminal background check
- Have valid photo ID and social security number
ElderHelp’s programs are structured to help older adults maintain their independence. It is essential that you, as our member, are able to communicate directly with us, complete any assessments and interviews, and maintain a schedule. Currently, ElderHelp is unable to assist seniors with moderate to severe cognitive impairment. It is essential that the person needing help makes the initial call to begin services and is able to manage their own appointments and schedules. While it may seem easier to set up services for your loved one, the program will not be successful unless the individual who will be receiving services is interested, informed and engaged. ElderHelp does recognize the importance of a good support system and how valuable family is to the team.
Our service area is based on seeker and provider availability and we are constantly looking to expand our reach. Please fill out the form below to stay updated on newly added service areas if you do not find your zip code listed below.
City of San Diego: 92101, 92102, 92103, 92104, 92105, 92106, 92107, 92108, 92109, 92110, 92111, 92113, 92114, 92115, 92116, 92117, 92119, 92120, 92121, 92122, 92123, 92124, 92126, 92127, 92128, 92129, 92130, 92131, 92132, 92133, 92134, 92136, 92139, 92140, 92142, 92145, 92154, 92173
La Jolla: 92037, 92038, 92039, 92092, 92093
Poway: 92064, 92074
Rancho Bernardo: 92128
Rancho Peñasquitos: 92129
Scripps Ranch: 92131